In developing our recipe for Agua de Fresa, we dedicated several hours to researching everything we could about the strawberry fruit and its relevant history. Over the course of our research, we found quite a few things we didn’t know about strawberries. We’d like to share some of the more interesting Strawberry facts:
1) In Ancient Rome, Apuleius wrote that the entire strawberry plant was eaten to treat depressive illness
2) The strawberry likely got its name from the Anglo-Saxons, who saw how the runners strew away from the mother plant.
3) Strawberries are members of the rose family.
4) Strawberries contain vitamins C, B6, K, fiber, folic acid, potassium, and amino acids.
5)Today, 4/5 strawberries grown in the U.S. are grown in California.
6) In His book, Natural History, Pliny the Elder listed the “Fraga” as on the natural products of Classical Italy.
7) Strawberries were probably cultivated in Ancient Greek and Latin Gardens.
8) Modern Strawberries are a hybrid species between F. virginiana x F. chiloensis, The former originating in Eastern North America, and the latter originating in Chile.